Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Southern Hospitality

sometimes, when things slow down,
you realize the charm in things that once annoyed you.
I got some 120 Holga film developed and picked them up today.
Now, the same encounter occurs every single time I get 120 film developed. I go to this family run photography store in town,
the only one I know that develops more obscure films.
I drop the film off. They tell me come back (insert day of the week here) and after actually returning on the given day to return, I've started giving them about 3 -4 days longer than they tell me. I don't mind the slow process, I have some learned patience.
Then I go, a few days later than told, and the wife or son looks for my film. No luck, they call pops, pops imediately says,
"oh, you know that 120 film takes a while, when did you bring it in?"
"about a week ago."
"black and white or color?"
"(insert black and white or color)"
"oh let me look"
This continues, some phone calls are made, and inevidably it's either right next to the cash register or under my first name.
I used to find this slightly irritating.
But today was farmers market day, the parking lots all empty from the students (I can say it like that now, I'm graduated and thusly an alum and thusly no longer "one of those students") and I waited patiently.
My emotions going back and forth from hope to hopeless,
but today, it was charming.
From top to bottom:
The Western Store in Christiansburg, VA
Farmer's Market in Blacksburg, VA (the bunny named "Power")
The Blue Ridge Mountains
Cedric the Husky
Downtown Roanoke, VA
Jeremey the Astro-nut
The Armory Gallery in Blacksburg, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment